Mei Pavilion(梅亭)

ocated to the left of the stairway in the Mei Garden, this Pavilion was jointly sponsored by the Classes of 1918 and 1938, and was completed in 1969. The Mei Pavilion was designed by NTHU alumnus Chang Chang Hua(張昌華), and is in the form of a hyperbolic paraboloid shell, which Chang also incorporated into his design of the Old Gymnasium. The Pavilion’s simple yet boldly innovative style fits in well with the Mei Garden, and because it resembles a pair of wings, it is also known as the “flying pavilion.” The characters for “Mei Pavilion” below one of the eaves were inscribed by the prominent calligrapher Wang Chuang Wei(王壯為).